Course Title: Journalism 670: Technology for Social Change; formerly called J676: Special Topic: Technology for Social Change
Semester: since Fall 2011 offered every semester
Instructor/CUE Affiliate: Young Mie Kim
Community Partner: South Metropolitan Planning Council
Abstract: This course operated much as a professional media consultancy firm would in the real-world, for the students to gain experience in working with a client. The students interviewed Park St. Restaurant owners and and created profiles for each restaurant on a new website SavorSouthMadison.com. The various food establishments in South Madison, specifically on South Park Street, provide many opportunities for people to have a unique dining and social experience.
Student Learning Goals:
- learn theory and practice of technology for social change
- develop social media campaign that makes salient in the minds of all Madison residents
- promote food culture of South Madison
Deliverable Product or Service: Based on research (including interviews and video recordings), students have developed an integrated social media through the application of a website on a WordPress platform, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterests, and Youtube.
CUE Project Area: South Madison
- Course Syllabus
- Savor South Madison report (uploaded 8/17/12)
- Savor South Madison: A Food Campaign